[Samba] disk quotas and NFS

Karen R McArthur kmcarthu at bates.edu
Fri Oct 5 20:00:57 GMT 2007

RedHat Enterprise AS 4
Samba 3.0.10-1.4E.12.2
nfs automounted home directories

Samba:
  --with Options:
    WITH_ADS
    WITH_AUTOMOUNT
    WITH_PAM
    WITH_QUOTAS
    WITH_SENDFILE
    WITH_SMBMOUNT
    WITH_SYSLOG
    WITH_UTMP
    WITH_WINBIND

Logged in locally, a user is warned when over quota and cannot copy
further files.

Over CIFS, a user is warned when over quota and cannot copy further files.

Over smb, a user is not warned, and when a file is copied to the smb
share, it appears to copy until you look at the file size - which is not
the correct size.

As you can see above, we do have "--with-quotas" configured in.  Is
there a step I need further to enable quotas over smb?  I have searched
the archives and can't find what I need.  A pointer to the correct
documentation would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you,
Karen McArthur
Bates College, Lewiston, Maine