[Samba] Samba 3,0,10 - critical error, large site

adrian sender adrian_au1 at hotmail.com
Wed Oct 3 04:36:14 GMT 2007

Hello All,

It has being some time since I have used this list for one of my own problems, but I have an interesting issue.

I am getting this error in the smbd.log file very often. Configuration is as follows.

Samba PDC / OpenLDAP Server

Samba Domain Member Winbind / LDAP
 CUPS

OS: 		RHEL4

Samba:		3.0.10

Openldap:	2.2.13

* Please note that an update of packages is not possible due to support.

ERROR:

[2007/10/03 10:00:45, 0] rpc_client/cli_pipe.c:rpc_api_pipe(435)

  cli_pipe: return critical error. Error was Call timed out: server did not respond after 20000 milliseconds

This is what I thought may be the issue following a Goggle ^10

This time out is quite large, 20 seconds so something is not right.

After researching this error, it would appear the cause is the master Openldap server. When the Domain  Member server queries the Openldap Master server which is also the PDC (ssg01l01);  we receive time out error, this is due to missing indexes in the slapd.conf configuration file on the Openldap Master which results in performance issues.

In never versions of Samba this error has changed to  NT_STATUS_ITIMEUT

Many Thanks,

Adrian Sender