[Samba] Access Linux Directories from Windows (AD, LDAP)

John Herrmann johnh at cyc.com
Tue Oct 2 17:30:30 GMT 2007

I think I need to start over configuring Samba.

What I have:

ServerAD - Windows 2000 Active Directory Server (10.1.1.251)
ServerSuse - Suse Enterprise Server 10.1 (10.1.1.249) LDAP is running
        Want to run Samba here.
ServerSuse2 - Suse Enterprise Server 10 (10.1.1.240)
        Files I want to share with Windows Machines or Users.

What I have so far (smb.conf):

        realm = CYYCD.COM
        workgroup = CYYCD.COM
        interfaces = 127.0.0.1 eth1
        bind interfaces only = true
        printing = cups
        printcap name = cups
        printer admin = @ntadmin, root, administrator
        map to guest = Bad User

        netbios name = HOME
        netbios aliases = cyycd host
        server string = ServerSuse
        hosts allow = 10.1.1. 127.
        security = ADS
        password server = SERVERAD.CYYCD.COM

        wins server = 10.1.1.251
        remote announce = 10.1.1.251
        dns proxy = no
        preserve case = yes
        short preserve case = yes
        default case = lower
        case sensitive = no
        create mask = 0664
        directory mask = 0775
        domain logons = Yes
        domain master = No
        wins support = No
        strict locking = No

What I'm looking to do is the Windows userid jon equal to the Linux
userid jon
which in linux is a member of group cyycd and directory /cyycd/tools has
read,
write permissions for group cyycd.

I thought this is what I needed added to smb.conf:

        idmap backend = ldap:ldap://ldap1.cyycd.com
        ldap admin dn = cn=Administrator,dc=cyycd,dc=com
        ldap delete dn = No
        ldap group suffix = ou=group
        ldap idmap suffix = ou=Idmap
        ldap machine suffix = ou=Machines
        ldap passwd sync = Yes
        ldap replication sleep = 1000
        ldap ssl = Start_tls
        ldap suffix = dc=cyycd,dc=com
        ldap timeout = 5
        ldap user suffix = ou=people

Please help me.  I'm totally confused and I'm probably making things worse.

Thank You,
John Herrmann