[Samba] How do I modify registry: Hk user?

Adam Tauno Williams adamtaunowilliams at gmail.com
Mon Oct 1 19:59:02 GMT 2007

> Looks like I'm in a predicament. One of our new sites will prompt users (in
> IE) to display "mixed content". Which is basically asking if you want to
> display some http in a https site.
> I have found the solution, (besides having a user go into IE's tools /
> privacy / custom settings / enable mix content) - with a registry entry.
> However, the registry entry goes to:
> HKU\S-1-5-21-3760584470-222371490-3023398101-1005\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet
> Settings\Zones\3\1609: 0x00000001
> as in H Key Users \ sid. Since we don't have any windows AD, how could I
> push out a registry entry that would identify a user's long string account?

You edit this setting into an ADM file and define a policy with
POLEDIT.EXE.

Like ...
POLICY "Mixed Content Message In Local Intranet (Zone 1)"
  KEYNAME "Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings
\Zones\1"
  PART "Mixed Content" DROPDOWNLIST REQUIRED
     VALUENAME 1609
     ITEMLIST
       NAME "Hide" VALUE NUMERIC 0 DEFAULT
       NAME "Show" VALUE NUMERIC 1
     END ITEMLIST
  END PART
END POLICY

But this is certainly not a Samba related issue at all; it is simply an
NT4 domain administration issue.  Read
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/archive/winntas/maintain/featusability/prof_pol.mspx?pf=true

> Or, if there is a way to better manage IE settings, that would suffice.

No, there is no good way to do anything with IE.

--
Adam Tauno Williams, Network & Systems Administrator
Consultant - http://www.whitemiceconsulting.com