[Samba] Samba 3.0.26a: "Attempt to create file with volid set - please report this"

Michael C Voorhis mvoorhis at cs.wpi.edu
Thu Nov 8 21:12:31 GMT 2007

Hi everyone;

I noticed today while watching my syslog, a few entries like this:

Nov  8 15:17:08 [machine] smbd[26137]:   Attempt to create file (FILE.GHO) with volid set - please report this
Nov  8 15:28:08 [machine] smbd[26137]:   Attempt to create file (FILE0001.GHS) with volid set - please report this
Nov  8 15:41:46 [machine] smbd[26137]:   Attempt to create file (FILE0002.GHS) with volid set - please report this

So, I'm reporting it. :)

I'm using Symantec Ghost 8.0 software to archive WinXP machine's disk,
and the files comprising the image are being written to a samba share
on my notebook computer here (which is the machine running Samba).  My
machine is a FreeBSD-7.0-BETA1 machine running samba-3.0.26a (FreeBSD
port net/samba3, package name samba-3.0.26a_1,1).

Looking back in my logfiles, I see that the last time I used Ghost
8.0 in a similar way (early this past October) I got similar "please
also.

I'm not a member of this mailing list, so if anyone would like to ask
me more questions about this, feel free to respond to me and I'll try
and provide any additional information you need.

	Michael Voorhis (mvoorhis at cs.wpi.edu)