[Samba] Vista over VPN loses connection with workgroup

Florin Andrei florin at andrei.myip.org
Fri Nov 30 21:55:34 GMT 2007

I've a server running CentOS 5, Samba 3.0.23c and OpenVPN-2.1beta4
A laptop running Vista connects to the server over VPN. The CentOS
server is local, domain and preferred master, and also WINS server.

It looks like every once in a while the Vista laptop drops the VPN
connection, which gets re-established soon after that. But the problem
is, it appears that after the dropout the Vista laptop doesn't see the
Samba workgroup anymore - there's nothing in the Network window, and
printing to a printer shared by Samba on CentOS fails.
Rebooting Vista fixes the problem.
If I specify a computer name like this \\computer I can access it from
Vista even when the workgroup is "invisible".

My question is - how to make the connection to the workgroup more
robust? Fixing VPN is another task, but I wonder if something can be
done with Samba and/or Vista until then.

--
Florin Andrei

http://florin.myip.org/