[Samba] Group Polic Software Install Packages located on SAMBA share

Michael Melia Jr. m.melia.jr at petrocelli.com
Fri Nov 30 05:45:47 GMT 2007

Hi All,

I am running debian etch and samba 3.0.24.  I have it configured to for
krb5, winbind, and ads.  Everything is working perfect as far as
accessing shares, authentication using AD logins.  I have one issue.  I
have some computer group policies on my AD server to do various software
installs. The msi and files themselves are hosted on a share on my samba
server.  The software installs happen when windows is first loading
before the login prompt is presented and the user logs in.  The software
installs always fail saying it cannot access the files.  My thoughts are
that since the user has not logged in yet, that the samba server doesn't
not how to authenticate the machine to access to files.  Has anyone had
experience with this issues?  Anyone installed software through group
policy and hosting that msi's on a samba share?   Any help would be
greatly appreciated.

Mike