[Samba] How to move a PDC

Tim Donnelly tim at coalliance.org
Thu Nov 29 22:51:25 GMT 2007

>Hello All,
>
>I was asked to make a backup of a server that we have running as a PDC
>(FreeBSD based).
>
>I tried just coping over the smb.conf but that does not seem to be all
>that I need.
>
>How would I be able to copy a working samba server in order to make a
>backup in case of an emergency so that the PDC function that it is
>performing will still work.
>
>Thanks in advance,

I have attempted to follow the directions here:

http://us1.samba.org/samba/docs/man/Samba-Guide/upgrades.html#id363635

in the "Replacing a Domain Controller" section.

However I ran into a problem where the Kickoff time was set to the epoch on
the new server and no one on this list has been able/willing to help.  So
you can try this method to make a backup of your PDC, but it may or may not
work.