[Samba] Can't login from my PC.

Ryan Novosielski novosirj at umdnj.edu
Wed Nov 28 18:14:42 GMT 2007

If you are also new to the mailing list, please note that thread
hijacking is generally not appreciated (replying to another e-mail, but
writing about an unrelated issue). Blanking an e-mail and changing the
subject does not change the fact that it was linked via headers to the
earlier thread. You probably had no idea, but I figured I'd let you know.

I personally ignore thread hijacks as far as providing help is concerned.

=R

Joseph C. Fisher wrote:
> Please help.
>
> I'm not new to Linux or Unix, but I am new to Samba and PAM.
>
> A few weeks ago, I upgraded to SuSE Linux 10.3.
>
> I attempted to install and configure Samba last weekend, for the first time.
>
> I want to create 3 specific mount points under Samba, each with different
> permissions as to who can access them.
>
> Initially, I was able to mount the filesystem with the least amount of
> restrictions, but could not seem to mount the other two filesystems.
>
> I found several different documents on-line to aid in configuring the
> smb.conf file.
>
> After playing around for several days, I now can no longer mount any of the
> three filesystems.
>
> Currently, when I bring up my Windows Explorer session, I can see the
> Workgroup, and the Samba server, but I can not see any of the mount points
> on that server.
>
> When I click on the server (Samba 3.0.26a-3-1478-SUSE-SL10.3 (Jflinuxpc), I
> get the following error:
>
> 	#####################################
>
> 	\\Jflinuxpc is not accessible.  You might not have permission to use this
> network resource.  Contact the administrator of this server to find out if
> you have access permissions.
>
> 	There are currently no logon servers available to service the logon
> request.
>
> 	#####################################
>
> When I click on "Map Network Drive" and type in "\\Jflinuxpc\family_photos",
> I get the following error message:
>
> 	#####################################
>
> 	The mapped network drive could not be created because the following error
> has occurred:
>
> 	There are currently no logon servers available to service the logon
> request.
>
> 	#####################################
>
> To start, it appears as if I've activated some type of special logon server
> un-knowingly...
>
> Can anyone give me a hint as to what it might be?
>
> I can telnet to the Linux server just fine from all of my laptops and PCs.
>
> The login ID that I'm using is good from a Linux / Unix / OS perspective.
>
> Any ideas or help would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks in advance, and have a great week.
>
> JoeF...

- --