[Samba] SETGID not being inherited

Paul Worrall paul at basilisk.ukfsn.org
Wed Nov 28 19:35:55 GMT 2007

I have exactly the same problem, and the "force directory mode = 2770"
does not solve it for me.

I have noticed that directories created on the same share by Windows
clients, smbclient on Linux and using the KDE smb: slave all inherit the
setgid bit as expected, so it seems to be something specific to mount.cifs

Here is the line from my /etc/fstab:

//basilisk/Shared\040Documents /media/smb/shared_documents cifs
guest,domain=HOME 0 0

Things I have tried:

setting the "nosetuids" mount option (though the man page says this is the
default anyway)

setting the "noperm" mount option

setting the "noacl" mount option

Now I've run out of ideas.  Any help appreciated.

--
Paul

On Wednesday 21 Nov 2007, Mark Adams wrote:
> Apologies for the blank mail, iphone misbehaving.
>
> you can use "force directory mode = 2770" in each share config or globally.
>
> see
>
> http://us1.samba.org/samba/docs/man/Samba-HOWTO-Collection/AccessControls.h
>tml
>
> Cheers,
> Mark
>
> On Wed, Nov 21, 2007 at 02:30:57PM +0000, Mark Adams wrote:
> > Mark.
> >

> > On 20 Nov 2007, at 18:57, "Robert L. Harris" <robert.l.harris at gmail.com>
> >
> > wrote:
> >>
> >> --