[Samba] Can't login from my PC.

Joseph C. Fisher jxfish2 at tampabay.rr.com
Wed Nov 28 16:07:34 GMT 2007

Please help.

I'm not new to Linux or Unix, but I am new to Samba and PAM.

A few weeks ago, I upgraded to SuSE Linux 10.3.

I attempted to install and configure Samba last weekend, for the first time.

I want to create 3 specific mount points under Samba, each with different
permissions as to who can access them.

Initially, I was able to mount the filesystem with the least amount of
restrictions, but could not seem to mount the other two filesystems.

I found several different documents on-line to aid in configuring the
smb.conf file.

After playing around for several days, I now can no longer mount any of the
three filesystems.

Currently, when I bring up my Windows Explorer session, I can see the
Workgroup, and the Samba server, but I can not see any of the mount points
on that server.

When I click on the server (Samba 3.0.26a-3-1478-SUSE-SL10.3 (Jflinuxpc), I
get the following error:

	#####################################

	\\Jflinuxpc is not accessible.  You might not have permission to use this
network resource.  Contact the administrator of this server to find out if
you have access permissions.

	There are currently no logon servers available to service the logon
request.

	#####################################

When I click on "Map Network Drive" and type in "\\Jflinuxpc\family_photos",
I get the following error message:

	#####################################

	The mapped network drive could not be created because the following error
has occurred:

	There are currently no logon servers available to service the logon
request.

To start, it appears as if I've activated some type of special logon server
un-knowingly...

Can anyone give me a hint as to what it might be?

I can telnet to the Linux server just fine from all of my laptops and PCs.

The login ID that I'm using is good from a Linux / Unix / OS perspective.

Any ideas or help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance, and have a great week.

JoeF...