[Samba] NT_STATUS_NO_LOGON_SERVERS errors sporadically occurring

Jason Haar Jason.Haar at trimble.co.nz
Sun Nov 25 20:51:18 GMT 2007

Hi there

I have samba-3.0.27a rolled out over a large number of servers, and
every once in a while one of them will start failing to allow people to
connect, with winbind reporting NT_STATUS_NO_LOGON_SERVERS, and
ntlm_auth failing with "NT_STATUS_NO_LOGON_SERVERS: No logon servers".
The same problem occurred with earlier versions too.

I think I've tracked down the cause of the problem as being "our fault",
but Samba really isn't handling it well. We have a 10.* network, and
servers with dual Ethernet cards, and sometimes/somehow the IP address
of the unused 2nd card (a 192.168.* address) starts getting broadcast
onto our Active Directory as being a domain controller IP. Then if
winbind decides to choose that address, it all starts failing, as that
address space isn't reachable.

If I do a "nslookup domain.AD" I get a listing of all our valid DC 10.*
addresses back - plus the unwanted 192.168 address - but it appears that
sometimes winbind decides that is the valid address, and won't try any
of the other addresses? And then you get the NT_STATUS_NO_LOGON_SERVERS
- as it isn't reachable.

Here's some excepts from /var/log/samba/log.wb-DOMAIN

ads_find_dc: looking for realm 'domain.AD'
get_sorted_dc_list: attempting lookup for name  domain.AD (sitename
NULL) using [ads]
sitename_fetch: Returning sitename for  domain.AD: "correct-sitename"
name domain.AD#20 found
get_dc_list: negative entry domain.AD removed from DC list
get_dc_list: returning 1 ip addresses in an ordered list
get_dc_list: 192.168.234.235:389

those last two lines imply why this problem occurs, but this problem
isn't being noticed within AD itself - I think Microsoft actually uses
ICMP pings to test DCs are reachable? Does Samba? Also, I have no idea
why it returns only one, invalid IP - nslookup shows this particular
domain has 13 domain controller IPs listed - including the one 192.168 one.

Obviously to fix it I just have to whine at our AD people until they
clean out this bogus DC IP - but shouldn't Samba work its way around
this? As an added advantage, ping tests could even ensure Samba connects
to the closest DC by measuring the latency...?

Thanks!

--
Cheers

Jason Haar
Phone: +64 3 9635 377 Fax: +64 3 9635 417