[Samba] Solaris 9 Winbind "ls -l" hangs - group mapping

Gibbings, Kevan Kevan.Gibbings at partner.saicmotor.co.uk
Fri Nov 23 09:36:10 GMT 2007

Thanks for your reply, I have got a stage further with this problem and
discovered it is a time out issue.

"getent group" only returns the first group "Domain Admins" the next
group in the list is "Domain Users" this group has over 573 members (all
users).

As this is a test domain, I proved this by deleting the majority of
users and "getent groups" then returns all the group names. I can
further prove this by listing some of the other groups by name i.e.

getent group "Domain\design"

This works fine and returns all the users.

I recreated the users (scripted!!) and getent groups fails again. But I
have found that by deleting just 40 members all groups are listed.

Not sure where to go from here. I think this must be a Solaris issue, a
timeout somewhere? A limitation of the number of users in a group?

I think I can get round this issue by forcing the files to be created on
the samba share as one particular group. But I would rather solve the
problem!

I have found similar reference on other sites, but no solution.

This could be a problem with ldap client, but the client is not
configured or running on my Solaris install.

If it could be how do I configure ldap client on Solaris?

Regards
Kevan Gibbings