[Samba] Solaris 9 Winbind "ls -l" hangs - group mapping

Gibbings, Kevan Kevan.Gibbings at partner.saicmotor.co.uk
Thu Nov 22 17:35:40 GMT 2007

OS Solaris 5.9 (9) Generic_122300-13 (clean build)

nscd daemon has been disabled and is not running

No NIS or NISPLUS

Samba Version 3.0.26a

Complied using the following options --with-acl-support -with-winbind
-with-pam

smbd, nmbd & winbind daemons are all started

[global]

      workgroup = MTCB2

      security = domain

      log level = 3

      log file = /usr/local/samba/var/samba.log.%U

      max log size = 20000

      ldap ssl = no

      wins server = 172.26.175.1

      dns proxy = yes

      name resolve order = wins bcast host

      idmap uid = 10000-20000

      idmap gid = 1000-2000

      winbind enum users = yes

      winbind enum groups = yes

      template homedir = /usr/people/winnt/%D/%U

      template shell = /bin/csh

[data]

      comment = Data

      path = /data

      valid users = @"MTCB2\domain users"

      browseable = yes

      available = yes

      read only = No

Requirement: Use winbind to authenticate XP clients.

Domain Windows 2003 (Domain functional level 2000 native)

nsswitch.conf

passwd: files winbind

group: files winbind

I have complied configured and installed Samba on a test network. I have
joined the samba server as a domain member on to the Windows 2003 domain
and I can list all the users and groups in the domain using  wbinfo -u
and groups using wbinfo -g. I can also list all the users using "getent
passwd" but when I run the command "getent group" I only get one of the
domain groups returned.

I can logon to an XP client access the shares on the Samba server and
create files, folders etc. I can list these file on the UNIX server
using "ls" but if I try and use "ls -l" the command just hangs. Also
"smbstatus" hands if there are any files open.

If I remove the winbind from the group entry in the nsswitch.conf file
then I can list the contents of the folders, obviously the group names
do not appear but the domain usernames do. I can then also get a from
"smbstatus" again all group name a shown as there mapped ID

Authentication is very quick, there just seems to be a problem with
group mapping.

I followed the instructions on this web page to install and configure.

http://www.samba.org/samba/docs/man/Samba-HOWTO-Collection/winbind.html#
id412113

Other tests carried out

smbclient -L hostname

nmblookup -B ip_addr __SAMBA__

nmblookup -N ip_addre "*"

nmlookup -M DOMAIN

The gid range does not clash with existing groups and I cannot see any
errors in the log files.

All give normal output.

Any ideas?

Regards
Kevan Gibbings
System Engineer
SAIC Motor UK Technical Centre Ltd
Southam Road, Radford Semele, Leamington Spa, Warwickshire, CV31 1FQ, UK
Direct Dial +44 (0)1926 319496 Direct Fax +44 (0)1926 477144
Tel +44 (0)1926 319319 Fax +44(0) 1926 477144
Email kevan.gibbings at partner.saicmotor.co.uk
<mailto:kevan.gibbings at partner.saicmotor.co.uk>

This e-mail and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. If you have received this e-mail in error please notify the sender immediately and delete this e-mail from your system. Please note that any views or opinions presented in this e-mail are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of SAIC Motor UK Technical Centre Limited (save for reports and other documentation formally approved and signed for release to the intended recipient). Only Directors or Duly Authorised Officers are authorised to enter into legally binding obligations on behalf of SAIC Motor UK Technical Centre Limited unless the obligation is contained within a SAIC Motor UK Technical Centre Limited Purchase Order.

SAIC Motor UK Technical Centre Limited may monitor outgoing and incoming e-mails and other telecommunications on its e-mail and telecommunications systems. By replying to this e-mail you give consent to such monitoring. The recipient should check e-mail and any attachments for the presence of viruses. SAIC Motor UK Technical Centre Limited accepts no liability for any damage caused by any virus transmitted by this e-mail.

SAIC Motor UK Technical Centre Limited is registered in England with number 05437330. The registered office of SAIC Motor UK Technical Centre Limited is 100 New Bridge Street, London, EC4V 6JA. The communications address is Southam Road, Radford Semele, Leamington Spa, Warwickshire CV31 1FQ