[Samba] Samba PDC windows XP logon scripts

C.Scheeder samba at scheeder.de
Thu Nov 22 13:53:23 GMT 2007

Koen Linders schrieb:
> Server:    Debian etch (kernel 2.6.18-4-686)
>     Samba 3.0.24 (PDC)
>
> Workstations: Windows XP Pro SP2 fully updated
>
> I want to have my windows xp users to login locally to their machine,
> but still have them automaticly check the netlogon share or something
> like that to apply network mappings and policies per group or user.
>
> I have this working when the user logs onto the domain. He gets a
> profile (which i keep local through gpedit.msc). I also know of a way to
> apply all those things locally to every machine, but obviously i want to
> have this another way.
>
> Domain login could be ok if it's a new user, but i'm talking about +- 50
> workstations with local profiles already in use. And it would be the
> best to manage them centrally via the server.
>
> Anyway to apply this some way?
>
> I've been searching a lot, and it seems to me at the moment i have to
> change everything to every workstations (policy and network drive
> mapping) without having to do a lot of jiggling locally with their
> profiles.
>
> I rather don't.
>
> I guess i'm not the only one who encountered this problem.
> Any suggestions would be very welcome.
>
> Thx for reading,
> Koen Linders

Hi,
Logon-scripts are one of the features of domain-logons.
you can not get them easily from windows without logging
into the domain.
This is a windows-function, not a samba-thing.

perhaps you would be able to emulate it with a script on every workstation
that knows the domaincontroler, the share where the logonscripts are stored,
and the user actualy logged in, and which is run for everyone logging localy
on to the workstation.
You'll have to write this script, distribute it to every wonrstation by hand and
make shure it gets run.

It is much less trouble to move the actualy used profiles into the domain,
there are many howto's on this topic in the net, and ,afaik, even in the docs on samba.org
Christoph