[Samba] Re: Howto modify samba printer ACLs without Windows?

Christoph Peus cp at peus.net
Thu Nov 22 09:52:27 GMT 2007

Necos Secon wrote:

> Have either of you tried setting the permissions on \\server\Printer? Since this is the way that I see WinXP try to do when I access a printer.

???
This is what I'm trying all the time.  ;-)
But how to do this without Windows based tools?
(Defining a share for every single printer in smb.conf is not an option...)
Thanks.

Christoph

PS: How to do this with Windows:

setacl -on \\printserver\$printer -ot prn -actn ace -ace
"n:$printer;p:print" -ace "n:printserver\administrators;p:full" -actn
clear -clr dacl

This sets the print permission for the group that is named like the
printer and full permissions for the print spoolers local administrators
(after existing ACEs have been cleared) using "setacl" (setacl.sf.net).