[Samba] DNS problem?

John Drescher drescherjm at gmail.com
Mon Nov 19 22:40:39 GMT 2007

> Ok, I'm trying to do an NT4 style domain right now.  So the security =
> user since I didn't specify it in smb.conf, it defaults to that and
> testparm verifies that.  So why does XP SP2 think I'm trying to join an
> ADS domain?

If the windows machine can not find the dns server via wins it will
try to use DNS instead.

I do not use ADS or WINS so in my samba network I have the following
entries in my root zone for my bind dns servers to point the windows
boxes to the PDC:

_ldap._tcp.dc._msdcs.radimg.pitt.edu. SRV 0 100 389 sysyserv0.radimg.pitt.edu
_kerberos._tcp.dc._msdcs.radimg.pitt.edu. SRV 0 100 88 sysserv0.radimg.pitt.edu

John