[Samba] Samba Fatal Error: GID range full!! (max: 20000)

Eric Diven eric.diven at edsiohio.com
Mon Nov 19 22:12:53 GMT 2007

A couple of obvious questions:

I'm going to assume you've restarted winbindd and smbd, but I thought
I'd mention it because I've done similarly dumb things.

How many users/groups are you enumerating into winbind?  It seems like
unless you're on a huge domain, you're not going to have 20000.  wbinfo
-u | wc -l will tell you how many mappings it has currently.  If it's a
large number, say 20000, you may need to set winbind enum users = no
(and likewise for groups)

Does the new range overlap the previous working range?  If not, is it
possible you've orphaned the uids and gids in the old range?  I haven't
looked at the winbind code, that's purely speculative, but it's
something to try while somebody more authoritative mulls over your
question.

~Eric