[Samba] Different printer drivers requesting different credentials

ccaldwell at suscom-maine.net ccaldwell at suscom-maine.net
Mon Nov 19 02:22:58 GMT 2007

Greetings,

This is an extenuation of "Non-registry problem:  Slow printing"

See:
    http://www.brightsands.com/~chris/quick.3.bz2 fast printer drivers loglvl=3
    http://www.brightsands.com/~chris/slow.3.bz2  slow printer drivers loglvl=3
    http://www.brightsands.com/~chris/quick.9.bz2 fast printer drivers loglvl=9
    http://www.brightsands.com/~chris/slow.9.bz2  slow printer drivers loglvl=9
    http://www.brightsands.com/~chris/smb.conf	  the smb.conf in use

I have a sample Windows XP/SP2 client trying to print through a
samba-3.0.24 server as configured in the smb.conf above.  When I configure
with a Microsoft driver (AGFA-Accuset v52.3), I can add and select the
printer quickly (see quick.3.bz2 and quick.9.bz2).

When I configure with a non Microsoft Driver (HP LaserJet 2420 PCL5e), adding
and selecting the printer take up to 30 seconds longer than the other driver.

(after taking acount of different pids and pnums), when I diff quick.3
and slow.3, I notice things start to get funky:

<   Domain=[]  NativeOS=[Windows 2002 Service Pack 2 2600] NativeLanMan=[Windows 2002 5.1] PrimaryDomain=[]
 ---
 >   Domain=[CLIENT]  NativeOS=[Windows 2002 Service Pack 2 2600] NativeLanMan=[Windows 2002 5.1] PrimaryDomain=[]
 2834c2834
 <   sesssetupX:name=[]\[]@[CLIENT_IP]
 ---
 >   sesssetupX:name=[CLIENT]\[Chris]@[CLIENT_IP]
 2916c2916
 <   check_ntlm_password:  Checking password for unmapped user [FUZZBALL]\[guest]@[CLIENT_IP] with the new password interface
 ---
 >   check_ntlm_password:  Checking password for unmapped user [CLIENT]\[chris]@[CLIENT_IP] with the new password interface

(where CLIENT is the name and CLIENT_IP is the IP address of the XP client).

Since they are using the SAME smb.conf and the same XP configuration for
EVERYTHING except the driver (and yes, I'm using the same printer, just
different drivers for it), I'm forced to conclude that the driver is
having some effect on the order in which things are tried for authentication.
In this particular configuration, we're doing guest-only so I am asserting
that the "quick" is the expected order.

Why would some drivers (those not provided by Microsoft?) authenticate
against the client name with the logged in user?

Moreover, since this seems to add 30 seconds to the process, is there anyway
I can stop it?

This is causing MAJOR unhappiness at my site (rioting in the streets).
Does anybody know what's going on here?

(Thanks, Dale for helping me clean up other problems in my smb.conf!)  --Chris