[Samba] Winbind password problem

Machcoll humpmihk at machcoll.co.ls
Sun Nov 18 15:35:37 GMT 2007

John H Terpstra wrote:

> This configuration is broken!  You have told Samba to be a domain member
> server (security = domain), yet it appears you want it to be a domain
> controller ("security = user" plus "domain logons = Yes"). The
> configuration
> uses LDAP, but I do not see specification of "passdb backend = ldapsam"
> which
> is necessary so that Samba knows how to connect with LDAP.
>
> Is this machine intended to be the PDC?  If so, change the "security =
> domain"
> to "security = user" and add "passdb = ldapsam".  If it should in fact be
> domain member server the configuration needs to be corrected also.

Thanks for your reply Samba is meant to be a PDC. Odd it was working at all
as I obviously messed up. I've changed the security to user and added domain
logons. I'm not using LDAP so I've removed that from the smb.conf

I'm still finding however, that the Windows PCs logon and join the domain no
problem but the Linux PCs using  Winbind wont, they used to even with the
messed up config on the old version of SAMBA I was using - any other advice?