[Samba] Automatically adding users to Member Server

Jamrock news_jamrock at yahoo.com
Sun Nov 18 03:37:30 GMT 2007

I want to add a Samba member server to a Samba or Windows domain.  I want
Samba to automatically add the Linux user accounts when domain users try to
access the member server.  I would want the creation of accounts to be
limited to users authenticated by the domain controller.

Years ago, when I was using Samba 2.x,  I would use a command similar to:

add user script = useradd -c "Account from PDC" -s /bin/false \
  -d /<home_directory_root>/%u -m -n -g net_users %uI got this from this
article:http://www.samag.com/documents/s=7666/sam0211e/0211e.htmThe Official
Samba 3.x documentation talks about using Windbind to accomplish the same
thing.What are the disadvantages of using the add user script?Also sending
best regards to John Terpstra.  He helped me quite a bit in the early
days.Not sure he is still active on this forum.