[Samba] Problems mounting a DOMAIN share, rather than a COMPUTER share

Stephen Allen p0036343 at brookes.ac.uk
Fri Nov 16 11:05:19 GMT 2007

FreeBSD 6.2 + Samba 3.0.26a

Can Samba mount a DFS share, using \\DOMAIN\dfs, rather than \\COMPUTER\dfs?

The following command successfully lists all the shares on a domain
controller, the same as \\DOMAIN does on Windows.  One of the shares
returned is "dfs" which is the root of my dfs tree:

smbclient -U administrator -L domain.example.com | grep Disk

So, I tried to mount "dfs" using the various commands below (errors are
in ""), none of which work.  Is this impossible, or am I missing something?

Kind regards,
Steve
--

mount_smbfs -I domaincontroller.example.com
//administrator at example.com/dfs /mnt

"server name 'example.com' too long"

mount_smbfs -I domaincontroller.example.com //administrator at domain/dfs /mnt

"mount_smbfs: unable to open connection: syserr = Connection reset by peer"

mount //administrator at domain/dfs /mnt

"mount: //administrator at domain/dfs: No such file or directory"

mount_smbfs //administrator at domain/dfs /mnt

"mount_smbfs: can't get server address: syserr = Operation timed out"