[Samba] Fileserver integrated into windows domain, plus linux clients needed

Plant, Dean dean.plant at roke.co.uk
Fri Nov 16 10:09:41 GMT 2007

Ben Ladd wrote:
> This is a two part question regarding the setup of the samba server
> at my school. I am a student working as an IT tech and the support
> team is in dire need of help!
>
> We have:
> 1. a windows 2003 server for a PDC with a full active directory.
> 2. a fedora core samba fileserver
> 3. lots of windows XP workstations.
>
> My problem:
> Each time we set up a new user on the system, passwords need changing
> on the AD and the samba server. Is there a way to set permissions for
> the samba from the AD so that we do not need to go through this
> rigmarole? (most problematic at the start of a new school year).
>
> My aim is to also have some linux (probably k/ubuntu) boxes that
> authenticate on the network using standard AD credentials. I have
> tried in vain to find a way to introduce a single point of
> authentication, I have looked at kerberos, winbind and LDAP. I
> consider myself a good network technician, but the introduction of
> linux into a domain has thrown me. Is there a an easy way to
> integrate a linux fileserver with a windows controlled domain with
> both linux and windows clients?
>
> I have read through countless "this is a way it could be done" and
> even tested kerberos/winbind/samba installs without result. I feel
> there is a way forward buy my lack of knowledge of linux services is
> letting me down.
>
> Regards,
>
> Ben
> IT Tech Springfield School, Portsmouth, UK

If your using Windows Server 2003 R2 read this link (and comments)

http://blog.scottlowe.org/2007/01/15/linux-ad-integration-version-4/

If your not running R2 read this link (and comments). In fact it would
be good to read both anyway and understand the differences.

http://blog.scottlowe.org/2005/12/22/complete-linux-ad-authentication-de
tails/

The instructions work fine with CentOS.

Dean