[Samba] Fileserver integrated into windows domain, plus linux clients needed‏

Ben Ladd fat_jimster at hotmail.com
Thu Nov 15 16:07:32 GMT 2007

Update:

Each time we set up a new user on the system, passwords need changing on the AD and the samba server. Is there a way to set permissions for the samba from the AD so that we do not need to go through this rigmarole? (most problematic at the start of a new school year).

>I completed this part of my task - http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=280702. It works perfectly for me. I am amazed that I did not find it earlier.

My aim is to also have some linux (probably k/ubuntu) boxes that authenticate on the network using standard AD credentials. I have tried in vain to find a way to introduce a single point of authentication, I have looked at kerberos, winbind and LDAP. I consider myself a good network technician, but the introduction of linux into a domain has thrown me. Is there a an easy way to integrate a linux fileserver with a windows controlled domain with both linux and windows clients?

> I am probably going to go with a kerberos and winbind mechanism to get this working. Hold out guys - Anything is possible!

Ben