[Samba] [SECURITY] CVE-2007-5398 - Remote Code Execution in Samba's nmbd

Gerald (Jerry) Carter jerry at samba.org
Thu Nov 15 13:21:22 GMT 2007

==
== Subject:     Remote code execution in Samba's WINS
==              server daemon (nmbd) when processing name
==              registration followed name query requests.
==
== CVE ID#:     CVE-2007-5398
==
== Versions:    Samba 3.0.0 - 3.0.26a (inclusive)
==
==              server, a client can send a series of name
==              registration request followed by a specific
==              name query request packet and execute
==              arbitrary code.
==

===========
Description
===========

Secunia Research reported a vulnerability that allows for
the execution of arbitrary code in nmbd.  This defect may
only be exploited when the "wins support" parameter has
been enabled in smb.conf.

==================
Patch Availability
==================

A patch addressing this defect has been posted to

  http://www.samba.org/samba/security/

Additionally, Samba 3.0.27 has been issued as a security
release to correct the defect.

==========
Workaround
==========

Samba administrators may avoid this security issue by
disabling the "wins support" feature in the hosts smb.conf
file.

=======
Credits
=======

This vulnerability was reported to Samba developers by
Alin Rad Pop, Secunia Research.

The time line is as follows:

* Oct 30, 2007: Initial report to security at samba.org.
* Oct 30, 2007: First response from Samba developers confirming
  the bug along with a proposed patch.
* Nov 15, 2007: Public security advisory to be made available.

== Our Code, Our Bugs, Our Responsibility.
== The Samba Team