[Samba] Non-registry problem: Slow printing

dale at briannassaladdressing.com dale at briannassaladdressing.com
Thu Nov 15 04:42:51 GMT 2007

>From your log:

check_sam_security: Couldn't find user 'guest' in passdb.
auth/auth.c:check_ntlm_password(273)
  check_ntlm_password: sam authentication for user [guest] FAILED with error NT_STATUS_NO_SUCH_USER
auth/auth.c:check_ntlm_password(319)
  check_ntlm_password:  Authentication for user [guest] -> [guest] FAILED with error NT_STATUS_NO_SUCH_USER

>From smb.conf
[global]
guest account = guest
guest only = yes

[cr1000]
guest only = Yes

It appears the user "guest" does not exist.  The clues would suggest that you either need to add the user "guest", choose an existing user for the guest account, or change the printer to something other than "guest only".  Based on the logs, I'm guessing that all that extra time is going toward trying to authenticate a forced user that doesn't exist.  Do the printers that work have the same setup?

>From SWAT:

guest account (G)

    This is a username which will be used for access to services which are specified as guest ok (see below). Whatever privileges this user has will be available to any client connecting to the guest service. This user must exist in the password file, but does not require a valid login. The user account "ftp" is often a good choice for this parameter.

    On some systems the default guest account "nobody" may not be able to print. Use another account in this case. You should test this by trying to log in as your guest user (perhaps by using the su - command) and trying to print using the system print command such as lpr(1) or lp(1).

    This parameter does not accept % macros, because many parts of the system require this value to be constant for correct operation.

    Default: guest account = nobody # default can be changed at compile-time

    Example: guest account = ftp

Hope this helps,
Dale