[Samba] Migrating a smbpasswd domain controller to LDAP

Adam Williams awilliam at mdah.state.ms.us
Wed Nov 14 22:38:58 GMT 2007

i'm sort of in the same boat as you but imagine a dozen smbpasswd based
servers.

read up through chapter 4 in LDAP systems adminstation.  then read the
openldap 2.3 systems administrator guide.  then read samba3 by example
and then the samba howto.

you'll need to use the PADL tools to migrate your /etc/passwd users to
ldap.  just google search on how to use the PADL tools, there are plenty
of resources.  once you can get linux shell users to log in, start on
the samba part.

create a test system with some spare PCs or VMWare or Microsoft Virtual
PC 2007.