[Samba] Fileserver integrated into windows domain, plus linux clients needed

Ben Ladd fat_jimster at hotmail.com
Wed Nov 14 14:39:11 GMT 2007

This is a two part question regarding the setup of the samba server at my school. I am a student working as an IT tech and the support team is in dire need of help!

We have:
1. a windows 2003 server for a PDC with a full active directory.
2. a fedora core samba fileserver
3. lots of windows XP workstations.

My problem:
Each time we set up a new user on the system, passwords need changing on the AD and the samba server. Is there a way to set permissions for the samba from the AD so that we do not need to go through this rigmarole? (most problematic at the start of a new school year).

My aim is to also have some linux (probably k/ubuntu) boxes that authenticate on the network using standard AD credentials. I have tried in vain to find a way to introduce a single point of authentication, I have looked at kerberos, winbind and LDAP. I consider myself a good network technician, but the introduction of linux into a domain has thrown me. Is there a an easy way to integrate a linux fileserver with a windows controlled domain with both linux and windows clients?

I have read through countless "this is a way it could be done" and even tested kerberos/winbind/samba installs without result. I feel there is a way forward buy my lack of knowledge of linux services is letting me down.

Regards,

Ben
IT Tech Springfield School, Portsmouth, UK