[Samba] Domain Control Query via samba.org Howto

Mark Sargent coolboarderguy at gmail.com
Wed Nov 14 00:53:56 GMT 2007

Hi All,

I am reading the howto on samba.org,

http://us3.samba.org/samba/docs/man/Samba-HOWTO-Collection/samba-pdc.html#pdc-example

and find the section about SID/RID under Features and Benefits a little
vague. It states that samba creates the RID, but it then states that the
windows machine also allocates the RID.

Here,

***
The UNIX operating system uses a separate name space for user and group
identifiers (the UID and GID) but Windows allocates the RID from a single
name space.
***

it says that windows allocates the RID, but just before that, it says,

***
Samba produces the RID algorithmically
***

Is that confusing, or is it just me? Cheers.

Mark Sargent
--

"Tell me and I'll forget, show me and I may not remember, involve me, and
I'll understand."

Native American Proverb