[Samba] A device attached to the system is not functioning.

Adam Williams awilliam at mdah.state.ms.us
Tue Nov 13 13:42:14 GMT 2007

Gerald (Jerry) Carter wrote:

>> homeDirectory: /home/testuser
>> gecos: test user,IS,5766888,3738042
>> sambaSID: S-1-1-0
>>
> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>
> That's wrong.  S-1-1-0 is "Everyone".  How did that SID get
> assigned?

I was following along in the Samba3 by example book.  It doesn't talk
about an .ldif file to use for users, so I was just guessing.
smbldap-useradd -a -m %u doesn't work for me, just gives an error when I
run it, so I was adding a user manually from an ldif, and objectClass:
sambaSamAccount requires sambaSID, so I was just guessing on what to
use.  I see that now it needs to be the sambaSID of the samba server and
then add -UID x 2 + 1000 for it to work.  is there a way to automate the
adding of the sambaSID to the user's ldap information?