[Samba] Mac client

Mike McGonagle mjmogo at gmail.com
Tue Nov 13 00:44:15 GMT 2007

Are the Mac files using any ILLEGAL Windows characters? The Mac pretty
much allows any character in a filename, as long as it is escaped
properly, while Windows can't handle things like...

? [ ] / \ = + < > : ; " ,

The Mac will pretty much allow any of them to be used in a filename.

Mike

On 11/12/07, Adam Hardy <adam.ant at cyberspaceroad.com> wrote:

> I'm trying to copy files to a Samba share that I have set up on a linux debian
> machine from a Mac running OS X, using samba 3.0.24.
>
> The Mac complains that there is something wrong with the file name, and then
> refuses to copy, and the operation leaves a zero-byte file with the same name on
> the samba share.
>
> It lets me log in nicely through the Mac File Finder.
>
> I've just spent a couple of hours searching the net but without any luck at all.
> Does anyone know what I should do in this situation?
>
> The samba share works fine from my other linux machine.
>

> Thanks
> Adam
>
> --

Help the Environment, Plant a Bush back in Texas!

"I place economy among the first and most important republican
virtues, and public debt as the greatest of the dangers to be feared.
To preserve our independence, we must not let our rulers load us with
perpetual debt."
-- Thomas Jefferson, third US president, architect and author (1743-1826)

"Give Peace a Chance" -- John Lennon (9 October 1940 – 8 December 1980)

Peace may sound simple—one beautiful word— but it requires everything
we have, every quality, every strength, every dream, every high ideal.
—Yehudi Menuhin (1916–1999), musician

If you think you can, or you think you can't, you are probably right.
—Mark Twain

"Art may imitate life, but life imitates TV."
Ani DiFranco