[Samba] Cannot change ACL from Windows Explorer

fajarpri at cbn.net.id fajarpri at cbn.net.id
Mon Nov 12 01:26:46 GMT 2007

Hello all,
I'm implementing Zimbra 4.5.6 and Samba PDC and a slave LDAP (with Samba
too). Thanks for the great tutorial from Greg and friends.

I put all the files shared in the slave LDAP (with Samba). So, client
authenticated to the master LDAP Samba PDC, and then access the files in
the slave server. All is running OK.

There is only one obstacle: I cannot change Samba ACL using windows
explorer. When I try to change permission, there is an error in the LDAP:
"Only root can access LDAP..."

On further investigation, I found out that I can do smbclient -L localhost
-U root from the PDC, but I cannot do that on the slave server with error
"root user not found".

Based on that, I think I need to do one of these commands on the slave:
smbpaswd -w or smbpasswd -a root
But since this is the production server and I want to make sure first that
the command works.

Any suggestion? Thanks. Much appreciated.