[Samba] SMB Shares with subversion backing store

Ross S. W. Walker rwalker at medallion.com
Fri Nov 9 19:48:11 GMT 2007

Jeremy Allison wrote:

> On Fri, Nov 09, 2007 at 10:05:34AM -0500, Ross S. W. Walker wrote:
> > To all,
> >
> > I was wondering if it was possible to setup samba shares
> that use subversion as a backing store for the files.
> >
> > Whenever a new file is created it is added to the
> subversion tree, whenever a file is opened it is checked out
> of the subversion tree, and whenever it is deleted it is
> removed from the subversion tree.
> >
> > The idea is that one could use subversion to retain
> previous versions of files and the subversion tree can be
> replicated using subversion replication tools.
> >
> > This would avoid costly COW operations for volume
> snapshots, provide better file control and auditing and allow
> files to be replicated in a consistent fashion.
> >
> > A bonus would be allowing access to previous subversion
> versions using the "Previous Versions" feature.
>
> You'd need to get a VFS written to do this. It's not
> difficult, but requires custom programming. There
> are various Samba support companies available that
> could do this on contract.

Thanks Jeremy,

I suppose I could contract it out to a development firm, but
to put something like that together myself. Would the anti-virus
VFS filter that's floating around provide a good enough framework
for creating something like this?

I don't know if the anti-virus VFS filter calls out to external
applications or if it uses a library API, but even if I had to
adapt it to an API (in fact a better approach) I could always
use John Madden's FUSE svnfs as an example of how to write for
that API.

Even if I do decide to contract it out, I still need to get a
feeling for the amount of work it will take so I don't get
bilked on the job costs.

-Ross