[Samba] map user homes to a windows share

Elvar elvar at ooz.net
Thu Nov 8 17:37:40 GMT 2007

Hello everyone,

I've been tasked with setting up several computer labs in a school with
Ubuntu workstations. I have successfully joined those workstations to
the windows domain and set it up so they authenticate to the windows
domain as well. My problem is that I need to figure out how to have each
user's home folder on the Ubuntu boxes map to the users home folder on
the windows 2003 server. The share location of their home folders on the
windows 2003 server is something like
\\servername\docs$\students\%username%. I'm not even sure if I can map
to a hidden share "$" in samba and also specify the %username% variable.

Kind regards,
Elvar