[Samba] Unwanted file permission changes

Allen, Damien dcallen at RADFORD.EDU
Wed Nov 7 21:37:38 GMT 2007

I've been trying to track down the reason some file permission changes
are occurring in ways that I don't expect. I'm sure that there is
something that I'm just overlooking in my setup.

Whenever a file get created or modified using the redirection operators,
the permissions on the file will change from 600 to 722, or from 644 to
766. However, a file set 700 will remain 700 after the same operation as
will one with 755. I test using echo "hi" >> helo as my sample
operation.

My umask is 0077, but creating a file using echo "hi" > helo will create
a file with 722 permissions which coincides with the changes above.
'touch'ing a file will create it with the proper permissions.

The server is samba version 3.0.21b running on a Solaris 10 SPARC
machine. It is serving as a CIFS redirector for a restricted NFS share.

    [HOME]
            comment = Home Directory for %u
            path = %H
            read only = No
            create mask = 7777
            directory mask = 7777

The client is running the samba 3.0.26a client on Ubuntu 7.10 on an x86
processor. The shares are automatically mounted using pam_mount. I use
bash as my shell, but also experience this problem under tcsh.

Like I said, I'm sure it my be some default setting that's disagreeing
with me.  Let me know if there's anything that I can provide to help
solve this problem.