[Samba] samba, winbind and pam

pat xyz patrix1976 at hotmail.com
Wed Nov 7 17:35:49 GMT 2007

Hello,

I use samba/winbind and pam to authenticate to our Active Directory.
I ask pam to create the user home directory on linux when the user does a login.
it works just fine but the problem that I'm having is that in the home directory I end up having tons of user homes but they've never logged into this linux system.

have you experienced this, any solutions, ideas?

thank you.

my smb.conf
[global]workgroup = XYZserver string = Centos5 Test System Samba Serverhosts allow = 10. 127.load printers = nosecurity = adspassword server = dc1.xyz.com
encrypt passwords = yesobey pam restrictions = yeslocal master = nodomain master = nopreferred master = nodomain logons = nolm announce = noidmap uid = 10000-200000idmap gid = 10000-200000winbind enum users = yeswinbind enum groups = yeswinbind use default domain = yeswinbind cache time = 15name resolve order = hosts lmhosts wins bcastrealm = ABC.XYZ.COMtemplate shell = /bin/bashtemplate homedir = /home/XYZ/%Uallow trusted domains = noidmap backend = idmap_rid:XYZ=10000-200000log file = /var/log/samba/%m.logmax log size = 50000

system-auth file
#%PAM-1.0auth        required      pam_env.soauth        sufficient    pam_winbind.soauth        sufficient    pam_unix.so likeauth nullok use_first_passauth        required      pam_deny.so
account     required      pam_access.soaccount     sufficient    pam_winbind.soaccount     required      pam_unix.soaccount     sufficient    pam_succeed_if.so uid < 500 quietaccount     required      pam_permit.so
password    requisite     pam_cracklib.so retry=3password    sufficient    pam_unix.so nullok use_authtok md5 shadowpassword    required      pam_deny.so
session     required      pam_mkhomedir.so skel=/etc/skel umask=0077session     required      pam_limits.sosession     required      pam_unix.so