[Samba] File renaming doesn't work if only case changes

Michael Hofer michi.hofer1 at gmx.at
Wed Nov 7 13:15:38 GMT 2007

Hi!

I've searched the web, but didn't find anything related to my strange problem: when I try to rename a file or a directory on a Samba share from my Windows-Client and I only change the case of a some characters it's ignored and the old filename is displayed again.

Example:
 A directory "New Folder" should be renamed to "new Folder". Thats just ignored :-(. If I rename first to "New Folder1" and then to "new Folder" it works.

I tried that in various situations:
 * on local Windows drive: no problem
 * on Samba share from Windows-client (Explorer): problem
 * on Samba share from Windows-client (DOS): problem
 * on Samba share from Samba-Client (smbclient): no problem

My configuration:
 Client: Windows XP; SP2; latest updates
 Server: Samba 3.0.24 (Debian 4.0, Etch)

 I have set no character- or case-specific parameters in my smb.conf, I just use the defaults.

Has anyone seen this or a similar problem?

Best regards,
Michael