[Samba] Samba server as a Primary Domain controller with LDAP

Gary Dale garydale at torfree.net
Sat Nov 3 12:53:49 GMT 2007

Vijay Thakur wrote:
> Dear Experts,
>
>   I want to Run a Samba server as a Primary Domain controller in Open Suse 10.3 or Centos 5. This server will serve for 200 windows and linux clients.  Users will login in their PC and authentication will be given by Samba Server to all $ MS or Linux computers. All the data and E-mails of the clients will be stored in Linux Server for backup management.
>
>   In this case, tell me the best distro to config the server and client. Send me the web link so i can configure this in quick way with your config steps.
>
>   Vijay Thakur

There is no "best" distro. The differences between them depend on your
situation and preferences. Both Open Suse and Centos are good server
distros.

Visit www.samba.org and look through the guide documents and howto
collection for information on configuring Samba to meet your needs.  In
particular, if you want to authenticate both Windows and Linux clients,
you should use LDAP for the backend.