[Samba] Compile samba to ARM cross compiler

Bj ø rn Tore Sund bjorn.sund at it.uib.no
Thu Nov 1 20:45:36 GMT 2007

On 31/10/07 05:26, "herman" <herman at aeronetworks.ca> wrote:

> hce wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Can the samba be compiled by ARM cross compiler (arm/3.4.1/arm-linux)?
>> I am currently downloaded samba-3.0.26a tar ball. I guess I have
>> following two choices, please advice which one make sense.
>>
>> 1. Run configurate under a linux pc distribution such as FC6, then
>> modify Makefile to the cross compiler path and lib.
>>
>> 2. Modify configurate to directly run under ARM cross compiler.
>>
>> Thank you.
>>
>> Jim
>>
> 1 and 2 amounts to the same thing.  I have compiled Samba for the Arm
> about 5 years ago, so it can probably still be done.  Please don't ask
> me anything about it though...
> :)

It was also how the Linux-based ARM PDA Sharp Zaurus exported local data to
the PC it was syncing with.  Latest version of the OS for that must be about
four years now, so the unit is just old enough that I _think_ it must have
run Samba 2.X.  If Samba 3.X fails you may want to try that, at least it's
known to have been run on ARM.

Bjørn
Bjørn Tore Sund       Phone: 555-84894   Email:   bjorn.sund at it.uib.no
IT department         VIP:   81724       Support: http://bs.uib.no
Univ. of Bergen

When in fear and when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout.