[Samba] PDC promotion and getlocalsid errror

Gaiseric Vandal gaiseric.vandal at gmail.com
Thu Nov 1 18:59:53 GMT 2007

I relatively recently implemented Samba 3.026a (Solaris PDC)    I then
moved the PDC role to another machine.  On the new pdc  I 1st grabbed
the domain SID

	newpdc# net rpc getsid -S oldpdc
	Storing SID ------------------for Domain MYDOMAIN in secrets.tdb
	newpdc#

and then updated the smb.conf file on each machine to convert the PDC
to member server and vice versa.

If I ran the "net getlocalsid" command on the old PDC prior to the
migration, it would return the SID for the domain.

	oldpdc #  net getlocalsid MYDOMAIN

	SID for domain MYDOMAIN is:  S-1----------------------99

	oldpdc#

If I run "get getlocalsid"  on the new PDC I get

	newpdc#  net getlocalsid

	[2007/11/01 14:52:55, 0] utils/net.c:net_getlocalsid(622)

	  Can't fetch domain SID for name: NEWPDC

	newpdc #

However explicity specifying the domain name seems OK

	newpdc#  net getlocalsid MYDOMAIN

	SID for domain MYDOMAIN is:  S-1----------------------99

As far as I can tell everything is working OK.   But did I mis a step
in the change over?

Thanks