[Samba] ACL changes on Samba NT 4.0 Member Server

Hans-Wilhelm Heisinger wheisinger at semcowindows.com
Thu Nov 1 15:39:38 GMT 2007

I have a Samba 3.0.24-7 on Fedora 6 as a member of an Windows NT 4.0
domain, with a simple share setup with ACLs.  The permissions on the
share from Windows XP Pro Security tab shows Everyone, and root (Unix
Group\root) without any Permissions.  When trying to add permissions
from XP while logged on as CPDOM+admin the error is display "Unable to
save permission changes on "share name" on "server name" Access is
denied.  Files can be copied to the share but can't be opened.  Below is
the smb.conf.  I believe ACLs would work if I add access.  I tried
setting the ACLs using setfacl and then the permissions show full
control from XP, but I'm still unable to change permissions or open files.

[global]

    winbind separator = +
    idmap uid = 10000-20000
    idmap gid = 10000-20000