[Samba] Accessing usershares on Redhat EL 5

Wehrer, Michael J. Michael.Wehrer at alcoa.com
Thu Nov 1 13:45:59 GMT 2007

I have enabled user shares and have the following entries in
/etc/samba/smb.conf

        usershare allow guests = Yes
        usershare max shares = 32
        usershare owner only = No
        usershare path = /var/lib/samba/usershares
        usershare prefix allow list = /usr/alcoa/mesif/mes_data
        usershare prefix deny list =
        usershare template share = template

I have created two shares using the redhat samba configuration script.
These shares show up in the smb.conf file and on the network with no
problems.

I have created several shares using the net usershare add function. The
files for these shares are located in /var/lib/samba/usershares. I am
providing the contents for one of these files below.

	#VERSION 2
	path=/usr/alcoa/mesif/mes_data/AN
	comment=guest_ok=y
	usershare_acl=S-1-1-0:R
	guest_ok=y

I am unable to see these shares on the network. I am certain that I must
be missing a step or that I have misconstrued the use of the usershares
facility. Can someone point me in the right direction? I am trying to
use the net usershare facility because the application I am developing
must programmatically create shares based on the contents of a
configuration file and the application does not have root access. If
usershares is not the answer, is there another way to programmatically
create and export a share?

Thanks, in advance for your help.

Mike Wehrer