[Samba] Serving MS Access Databases, with ACL

jayendren anand maduray jayendren at hivsa.com
Thu Nov 1 07:47:14 GMT 2007

Hi Dale.

Thanks for this, would you guys be able to send me a complete example,
that would allow read/write access for two users
(you can call them user1, and user2)

Alternatively, you can comment on this one:
--
Creating the directories, and set permissions:

#mkdir /srv/samba/file-server/studies/databases
#setfacl -R -m u:user1:rwx,u:user2:rwx
/srv/samba/file-server/studies/databases
#getfacl /srv/samba/file-server/studies/databases
# file:
# owner: root
# group: root
user::rwx
user:user1:rwx
user:user2:rwx
group::r-x
mask::rwx
other::r-x

The share entry in smb.conf:

[databases]
        path = /srv/samba/file-server/studies/databases
        create mode = 0777
        writeable = yes
        browseable = yes
        valid users = user1 user2 root
        writelist = user1 user2 root
        veto oplock files = /*.mdb/*.MDB
        nt acl support = yes
        nt pipe support = yes
        nt status support = yes
        inherit permissions = yes
        inherit acls = yes

#smbcontrol smbd reload-config
Global parameter acl compatibility found in service section!
--
Nick/Nico, we must look at moving access databases to SQL/MySQL
backends, soon.

God bless.

*Ellison, David* david.ellison at atkinsglobal.com
<mailto:samba%40lists.samba.org?Subject=%5BSamba%5D%20Serving%20MS%20Access%20Databases%2C%20with%20ACL&In-Reply-To=47288B56.2010206%40hivsa.com>
/Wed Oct 31 15:03:52 GMT 2007/

Greetings,

This is a little off topic, but may be usefull to you. If the DB is
going to grow much more than that, I would use a real SQL backend to the
database. The MS Access DB backend is ok, however starts to suffer when
they become huge, by the sounds of things they may. I am sure there are
people with 700mb, 900mb etc Access databases, but its best to split the
front end from the database and use a SQL database like MySQl for the
backend.

Just food for thought :)

Cheers.
Dave