[Samba] What makes excel file opening so slow??

Alex Satrapa alex.satrapa at apf.edu.au
Thu May 31 23:57:07 GMT 2007

On 01/06/2007, at 03:56 , Adam Tauno Williams wrote:

> Speed doesn't matter so much as latency.  Check out some documents on
> windowing, etc... maybe you can improve the efficiency of your link.
> http://dsd.lbl.gov/TCP-tuning/tcp-wan-perf.pdf

Note you can also set some socket options for Samba, for example the
following seem to help for my local installation where people are
accessing the Samba share from computers all over the University campus:

    socket options = IPTOS_THROUGHPUT SO_RCVBUF=8192 SO_SNDBUF=8192

>> However if we build a VPN
>> inside Hong Kong, it takes 10~20 seconds to open a 400k excel file.
>
> I don't understand what this means.

He's most likely building up a VPN between two hosts on the local
network, and accessing the Samba share over that tunnel (eg: laptop -
 > VPN server -> office network).

10-20 seconds to open a 400k file means that there's something else
going on here. Does the 400k file refer to other files for things
like lookup tables or pictures (or worse, OLE objects)?

Alex