[Samba] Change password on first logon

Jim McDonough jmcd at themcdonoughs.org
Thu May 31 01:19:31 GMT 2007

On 5/30/07, Adam Tauno Williams <adamtaunowilliams at gmail.com> wrote:

> > When I create users I give them all the same default password. However I
> > want to force the users to change their passwords on first login, and
> also
> > to force them to change their paswords after a specified period of time.
> > How can this be configuered?
>
> Set the password must change and password can change attributes of a new
> account to 1

I'm not sure what you meant by this last answer...but:

The correct answer is first to set the "must change at next logon" flag via
user manager or "net sam set pwdmustchangenow" command.  The second part
requires setting the policy, using "net sam policy" , setting "maximum
password age", or again using user manager to set the account policy for
this.