[Samba] Smba with Amanda backup --- permissions

Josh Kelley joshkel at gmail.com
Thu May 31 15:59:31 GMT 2007

On 5/31/07, bhoomikasc <bhoomika_sc at yahoo.com> wrote:
> I am trying to create a Samba share on /media/winshare with the owner as
> amandabackup instead of root. But as soon as I mount the Samba share on to
> the mount point, the permissions for the owner get reverted back to root
> instead of amandabackup.
>
> Attaching a snapshot of how it looks like.
> http://www.nabble.com/file/p10894282/samba%2Bquery.jpg

The permissions on the directory used as the mount point have no
effect on the permissions of the mounted filesystem.  This is the case
for Linux and Unix in general and is not a Samba-specific issue.

You should be able to add the uid= and gid= options to your mount
command to change the permissions of the mounted filesystem:
mount -t cifs -o username=linuxbak,uid=amandabackup,gid=root
//10.80.101.15/linuxbak /media/winshare
Note that the mount type smbfs is generally deprecated in favor of cifs.

Amanda supports backing up Windows shares using smbclient; I've always
used that method instead of mounting a SMB filesystem.

Josh Kelley