[Samba] Samba 3.025 wbinfo checking the trust secret via RPC calls failed

Gaiseric Vandal gaiseric.vandal at gmail.com
Wed May 30 20:07:35 GMT 2007

I have compiled Samba 3.0.25a from source on a Solaris 10 machine.  I
had previously been testing Samba 3.0.24 (from packages on
www.sunfreeware.com) and have reused the smb.conf file.  Otherwise
this is a clean setup, not an upgrade.

The server is configured as a PDC for my domain "SAMBADOMAIN"

I created a samba password for the local root and administrator accounts.

I joined the server machine to its own domain

        pdc# net join sambadomain  -U root
        Password:

        Joined domain SAMBADOMAIN

        pdc#  bin/net rpc testjoin
        Join to SAMBADOMAIN is OK
        gopher#

I joined a Windows 2003 server to the domain.  All seems weel.

I tried establish trusts with another domain.    Either way this fails
with a warning that the trust         password was incorrect.   going
back a step,  I tried   to verify the trust to my own domain.

        pdc # ./wbinfo -t
        checking the trust secret via RPC calls failed
        error code was NT_STATUS_INVALID_HANDLE (0xc0000008)
        Could not check secret

        pdc# ./wbinfo --own-domain -t
        SAMBADOMAIN
        checking the trust secret via RPC calls failed
        error code was NT_STATUS_INVALID_HANDLE (0xc0000008)
        Could not check secret

This had worked with Samba 3.0.24.  Not sure if this is a winbind
issue.  my smb.conf file includes the following:

        idmap uid = 10000-20000
        idmap gid = 10000-20000
        winbind enum users = yes
        winbind enum groups = yes