[Samba] pdbedit and password expiration

lists at trcintl.com lists at trcintl.com
Wed May 30 19:08:22 GMT 2007

I have been working to get pdbedit to expire passwords.  I have seen several bugs related to pdbedit (bugzilla bug 4630 for
example) on 3.0.25 so I upgraded to 3.0.25a, the latest Samba version as of this writing.  What I am trying to do is set a
particular user's password to expire on a certain date.  If that can't be done, the ability to set it to expire "now" would
be my next choice.

I have been attempting to use the --pwd-must-change-time switch of pdbedit as listed in the Samba docs at
http://cr.samba.org/samba/docs/man/Samba-HOWTO-Collection/passdb.html#pdbeditthing but it doesn't seem to work no matter how
I attempt to use it.  Furthermore, the man page and help options for pdbedit don't even mention this option.  I am using
tdbsam as the backend database and would prefer to stay with that as it seems like it should have the ability to do this.  I
would also rather solve this using tdbsam because if I have to change the backend database, I would have to do it on several
separate stand-alone system to keep the setup consistent throughout the company.  By the way, I do have a policy set for all
users, but that is not the issue here.

1.)  Does the --pwd-must-change-time switch of pdbedit work in 3.0.25a or is that left over from a previous version?
2.)  If it is supposed to work, can someone provide an example of how they have used it that has worked for them?
3.)  If it doesn't work, how can I expire a password for a particular user at a given date, or even expire it "now"?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.