[Samba] Restricting to a subset of the domain controllers on a site

Wayne Rasmussen Wayne at gomonarch.com
Wed May 30 18:08:03 GMT 2007

>What version of Samba are you running?

We are running samba-3.0.10 on Solaris 9.

> How are they enforcing this requirement on the Windows

> clients?  Using AD Sites top group DCs?

Their Answer:

Those other servers, while part of the domain are part of a separate
site used for exchange services.  They referred to the following links:

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/windowsserver2003/technolog
ies/directory/activedirectory/stepbystep/adsrv.mspx

So when the server boots and runs:

/usr/local/bin/kinit  IL02mcs at sanatized

/usr/local/samba/bin/net ads join

What determines which DCs are granting tickets/authenticating?
/etc/krb5.conf doesn't seem to be the limiting factor as in this case we
got machines not in krb5.conf.

They are basically telling us that samba needs to limit which DCs it is
using for lookup.  This seems counter intuitive to me.