[Samba] Abnormal Windows behaviour with Samba

Chris Smith smb23 at realcomputerguy.com
Wed May 30 16:18:49 GMT 2007

On Wednesday 30 May 2007, Erebus wrote:
> Correct me if I am wrong, but Windows use by default the NetBIOS over
> TCP/IP (that is the default setting in TCP/IP properties I suppose). When
> using WINS, shouldn't they know each computer's name for good at the boot
> time?

I believe modern Windows versions use DNS first, then WINS. IMO, a modern
Samba network should have both WINS and DNS resolution for all systems.

Use "ipconfig /all" on the clients to make sure they are configured as you
believe. Check your WINS database and see if all the systems are properly
registered. Check the nmbd logs for possible clues (such as making sure your
server is the local master browser). Check the smbd logs for possible clues
(network issues, etc.). Check (by temporarily disabling) that some AV
software on the clients isn't causing an issue (automatic updates for one can
take a lot of system time at boot).

Also when using user and group names in smb.conf it's a good idea (and
mandatory in some cases) to fully qualify the names as DOMAINNAME\username or
DOMAINNAME\groupname, ex: X-NET\x-admin, X-NET\erebus, etc.

Chris